Tuesday, December 4, 2012

25


Chuck inspired me a few years ago to write a Thanksgiving blog but this Thanksgiving I was out of commission so here I am, late.  Any teacher I’ve ever had would not be surprised by this. But this past year I’ve had so much to be grateful for.

First and foremost my Dad is pretty dang awesome. The week of Thanksgiving I was extremely sick, no energy, no voice, and all that goodness. I texted my mom Wednesday morning to let her know I wouldn’t be coming home for Thanksgiving because I didn’t have the energy to make the drive, and within an hour and a half my Dad was in his car driving up to Flagstaff to get me.  Six hours each way meant he spent 24 hours in a car over a 5 day period. Even though I was sick most of the time I was home,  it was so nice to be around family and see my brand new nephew Jack.  

Substitute Teaching- Did I enjoy it? Heck no. But a part of me always wanted to be a teacher and my stint as a sub made sure that I will never regret not taking that path.

The University of Montana- This is a hard one to write, even though it was a short six months it shaped me significantly. I learned SO much.  And I didn’t think I would miss it but there are definitely aspects I miss. I miss my boss there, I miss Mike and Andy, and I definitely miss the river.

Katie Hawkes- The first person beside my mom I talked to about leaving The University of Montana. She gave me the courage to apply for the job at…

Northern Arizona University- I’ve been here almost two months and I still sometimes sit in awe at how divinely guided this move was and how perfect this position and my co-workers are.

Laurel Udy- Don’t know her? Read this! She’ll become your inspiration too. In 2012 she graduated college, opened herself up to a boy, left on a mission, and learned Portuguese. I’m kind of obsessed with her and don’t know what I’d do without her in my life.

Michael Conrad Hunter-Because I need someone who will always get my West Wing references. 

Michelle Erb- She gives the best advice and I know if I need to laugh all I have to do is give her a ring.

Cody Alderson- Because he buys Diet Coke when I come to visit.

Alex Jones- We’ve only actually lived in the same city while being friends for like 3 weeks but she has become one of my closest friends. You just need that person you can text the things you can’t say out loud.

My Momma- because she answers when I call her at midnight, she buys me a radiator when I need one and can’t afford it, and she knows me better than anyone else.

Jeff-Probably my favorite thing about living at home while job searching was the relationship I built with my brother Jeff. We hated each other when we were little and I am always amazed at the man he has become. Last month he became a father and I still get way emotional every time I think about it.



Samuel Hardman Taylor-Because he understands the importance of middle names and he knows me on a really weird level-like he can recognize my handwriting.

DJ Jewel a.k.a “The Buick”- We’ve had some rough patches but I love her and I’m so lucky to have a car that meets the needs I have.

GFR-While we don’t talk as much as I would like she still knows me better than anyone besides my mom and is always there when I need her.

The Whole Famdamily- I've been blessed recently with a lot of time with the my whole family which is always the best kind of time.



Lastly, and most important, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I am blessed and strengthen multiple times a day by my Savior and I don’t know how people live without this knowledge and comfort. Today I turned 25 and I haven’t really been looking forward to it. It’s kind of depressing to have a birthday when you live in a town that you have no one to celebrate with. Last night I prayed for the strength to focus on others today so I wouldn’t feel bad for myself. It seems simple but it was one of my best birthdays because I realized all I really NEED in life is to make sure I continue to include my Heavenly Father in it. Have question about my faith? PLEASE ASK ME!



P.S. Anyone want to help me revamp this thing? I've gone back to the default layout till I can figure out how to change it up. Ideas?

1 comment:

  1. Emily Suzanne, you always capitalize your R's. If you didn't want me to get to know your handwriting, you should have selected a different table partner in Jezreel's class.

    ReplyDelete